- Hold an active registered nurse (RN) license in United States or its territories.
- Have the equivalent of two or more years of employment in the past five years functioning in the full scope of the academic faculty role.
- Have Certified Nurse Educator Code of Ethics compliance.
- Pay renewal fees by the certification expiration date.
- Maintain five-year cycle, refer to certificate for expiration date.
- Demonstrate continued maintenance or expansion of your knowledge relevant to the role of academic nurse educator within the five-year renewal cycle. Candidate must choose from one of the following:
- Option A: Submit documents to support competence was maintained or enhanced.
- Option B: Pass the CNE exam before the due date for the certification renewal documents.
The Retired option is available for CNEs who are retiring from academic teaching and wish to retain the credential. The Retired status as a form of renewal is a life-long status not requiring a renewal on a time cycle (i.e. five years). After approval, the credential designation “CNE-Ret” may be used.