The Western Institute of Nursing (WIN) and the National League for Nursing (NLN) have identified a mutual interest in promoting research conducted by academic educators, academic clinical nurse educators, or doctoral nursing students and have agreed to offer this joint award focused on the following goals:
• Collaborate to increase the quality and quantity of research focusing on nursing education,
• Collaborate to advance the science of nursing education, and
• Increase awareness of support from both WIN and NLN for academic nursing education research.
This is an annual award of $5000 to one recipient to support completion of proposed research study or doctoral dissertation work. Funds for this award are provided by WIN and the NLN. The recipient also receives a one-year membership from the NLN, if not already a member.
- Applicants for this award must be a current member of WIN (student or regular) and must hold a master's or doctoral degree or be enrolled in a research-focused doctoral nursing program in the western region.
- Applicants must provide evidence that the proposed research study has been approved by their doctoral committee or scholarly project committee AND/OR that IRB/REC approval has been obtained, where applicable. Funds will not be distributed by until IRB/REC approval is provided.
- Proposed studies must be clearly focused on academic nursing education research and must relate to one or more of the NLN Priorities for Research in Nursing Education.
- A complete proposal includes a Blind Review File only (all identifying information of individual applicant removed)
- The proposal must be submitted electronically by a specified deadline. Incomplete proposals or proposals submitted after this time will not be accepted for review.
- Applications must adhere to requirements for format, content, length limitations, and necessary supporting materials as outlined in the NLN Research Award Submission Guidelines;(PDF)
- NLN Nursing Education Research Grants FAQs
Components of the Blind Review File
- Title page with applicant's name and affiliation removed.
- Proposal narrative (15 page limit, double spaced, includes abstract) with all identifying information of applicant removed.
- Budget - you must use the NLN Grants Budget Template (xlsx) (be sure to enable pop-ups in browser to download) with all identifying information of individual applicant removed.
- References cited.
- Appendices (if appropriate) with all identifying information of individual applicant removed. (Doctoral students must include confirmation of successful completion of proposal defense. Applicants may include documents on official letterhead with the name of the school visible; signatures can also be visible to demonstrate that the proposal received appropriate approval).
- The components of the Blind Review File must be submitted in one PDF file via the online submission system. (visit this Microsoft Support page for help to save/convert files to PDF).
How to Submit:
Proposals for the 2022 grant cycle will be accepted October 8, 2021 through Feb 3, 2022
Submit your proposal here
Please note: Submissions are accepted online only. You must have a SurveyMonkey Apply account to submit an application. Your NLN Member login is NOT valid. If you used the previous system - FluidReview - to make a submission, your username and password will remain the same, otherwise you will need to create an account.
The NLN Nursing Education Research Grants review process is used. All proposals are submitted for blind review by carefully selected experts in nursing education research. The submitted Blind Review File is the file that is reviewed by these experts. Recipients are selected through a peer review process using the following NLN Proposal Review Rubric (PDF).
Letters of notification are sent to grant applicants no later than July 1st of each cycle.
Grant recipients are formally announced at the NLN Education Summit each fall. Awardees are encouraged to attend.
Upon completion of the research project, grantees must submit a Final Abstract (as described in the Award Guidelines). Reminders will be emailed to grant recipients in advance of an assigned deadline.
For questions about the submission or review process, please contact email@example.com.