Using Cinema to Enhance Teaching Issues Related to Older Adults
Printer friendly version of this teaching strategy
Overview of Teaching Strategy
At times a visual or story-telling method can be powerful in helping students process the complicated and multifaceted issues that surround the care of older adults.
Psychosocial issues, issues of transitions, and ethical dilemmas are often best portrayed with application to a storyline. This technique makes the topics more relevant and better helps students to connect. Storylines can prompt rich discussion and often resonate with the students’ experiences to allow them to better process the complexities of caring for older adults. Cinema footage can be used in clips or in their entirety to set the stage to meet the instructors’ specific objectives. This teaching strategy suggests films and film clips that portray older adults and the issues that often surround them.
The utilization of the ACES Essential Actions is highlighted in the processing of the movies and clips and used as guidelines in thinking about the issues presented. This teaching strategy can be used in class lecture, seminar, or clinical, and is especially effective for online components of a nursing courses.
- Develop a better understanding of the complicated issues that surround care of older adults.
- Discuss their feelings around the issues that surround the emotional needs of older adults.
- Better understand the collaborative care model in caring for older adults.
- Identify issues around the risks and benefits in decision making with issues specific to older adults.
- Identify tools that might be helpful in further assessing the issues highlighted in the cinema presentations.
- Recognize the need to be self-aware of judgments and stereotypes about the geriatric population.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the assessment of functioning of older adults.
- Recognize the impact of family dynamics in the multifaceted care of older adults.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the need to consider the concepts of individualized aging in prioritizing the mental health needs of older adults.
ACES Essential Nursing Actions
- Assess Function and Expectations
- Coordinate and Manage Care
- Use Evolving Knowledge
- Make Situational Decisions
ACES Essential Knowledge Domains
- Individualized Aging
- Complexity of Care
NLN Education Competencies
- Human Flourishing
- Spirit of Inquiry
To begin, use the links below: