Utilizing Resources to Support Independence and Quality of Life Issues in Older Adults
Printer friendly version of this teaching strategy
1. The AARP caregiver resource center offers diverse tools to address multiple concerns which affect older adults. The student should be directed to explore the site and search out resources that would be applicable to the Red case study. They will find a toolkit that may help their client with financial, organizational and insurance issues as well as practical information to negotiate challenges they may face.
2. ConsultGeriRN.org: the website of the Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing at New York University’s College of Nursing contains many evidence-based assessment tools. Those listed below from the Try This® and How to Try This Series® are recommended for the content related to the Red monologue. The tool, an article about using the tool, and a video illustrating the use of the tool, are all available for your use. Click here to view the list. Below is a suggestion of tools that may be appropriate in assessing Red: Click here to go to ConsultGeriRN.org and the Try This® and How to Try This Resources.
Some examples of assessment tools that can be used with Red are:
- Geriatric Depression Scale
- Elder Mistreatment Assessment
- Alcohol Screening and Assessment for Older Adults