Caring for the Older Adult at Risk for Falling
Printer friendly version of this teaching strategy
This teaching strategy focuses on assessing expectations, coordinating and managing care, and making situational decisions with older adults. The strategy enhances the student’s human flourishing and nursing judgment.
1. Provide the learners with the ACE.S framework and discuss communication techniques when assessing function and expectations in older adults.
2. Using the ACE.S framework, ask the learners to discuss a situation where they were unsure how to balance the expectations of the patient with the institution’s protocol and safety guidelines related to falls precautions when caring for the older adult.
3. Play the following video link. This activity can take place in lecture, seminar, or in pre or post conference for clinical, if internet access is available.
4. Present the case study under the "Materials" section of the teaching strategy to the group to begin a discussion. This activity can take place in lecture, seminar, or in pre or post conference for clinical.
5. Discussion Questions: Use the following to facilitate a discussion with your students related to the video and case study presented:
- What are your concerns? What is the cause of the concern?
- What else do you need to know about this situation?
- What are you going to do about it?
- What do you think the patient is experiencing?
- Consider the possible outcomes of implementing falls precautions or not. What are the risks and benefits to the patient? To the nurse?