Creating a Scenario-Specific Medication Administration Record
HomeGrown Solution Number
Identification of the Problem
In some clinical settings nursing students are allowed to participate in clinical activities, but not document in the electronic medical record. Documentation in an electronic medical record is a critical element in nursing practice that should be practiced by students.
Free electronic resources can be utilized to simulate aspects of a patient medical record. This solution provides an example of a simulated medical record system using Quick Response (QR) codes and Google Forms. Students scan a QR code on a simulated patient armband (or medication label) with a mobile device to access a simulated patient medication record created using Google Forms. Students verify patient and medication information and document on a scenario-specific electronic medication administration record before administering to a simulated patient.
- A Gmail account (Create one here https://accounts.google.com/SignUp) to make a Google Form
- Download a free barcode scanner for your mobile device (see iTunes or Google Play)
- Access to a QR code generator (Such as Google Chrome’s Shorten Me Extension for Google Chrome)
- Paper for armband
- Transparent tape
Steps to Creating the Solution
- Create a Medication Administration Record using Google Forms.
- Once form is created, copy the URL and paste into the QR Code Generator (or for the Google Shorten Me extension, click the three dots in the upper right corner of your Google Chrome toolbar to have a QR code generated for you.)
- Download or copy the QR code for the Google Form and paste to the patient armband or the medication to be administered (It works best with tape on the back side of the QR code. Transparent tape over the QR code is difficult to "read" by barcode scanners.)
- This video demonstrates the process of using this home grown solution as a medication administration record. http://youtu.be/qt3YQlXjDn0
- Use this link for a sample form, QR code for a patient armband. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DBkBFHTYULxOVRiScE4KE8nGUrZ8Sf7xfDODjx0_RGo/edit?usp=sharing