Quick Apply/Release Compression Stocking or Tattoo Sleeve
HomeGrown Solution Number
Identification of the Problem
Compression garments or mock tattoo sleeves can be difficult to apply and remove on a simulator or standardized patient. Simulation accessories in the form of hook and loop strap compression garments or varied sizes of tattoo sleeves are available but the cost of these items prohibit purchase for some simulation centers. As a solution to this issue, simulation faculty created a durable, low cost solution to easy, quickly apply and remove compression garments or tattoo sleeves to simulators or standardized.
Use hook and loop fasteners along the length of the compression garment or tattoo sleeve to create a quick, easy route for application or removal of the item. The item may be gently washed and re-used in various simulation scenarios, saving valuable time and money in the simulation center.
- Compression garment or tattoo sleeve
- Hook and loop fasteners
Steps to Creating the Solution
- Select a compression garment or tattoo sleeve which is needed for the scenario.
- Use scissors to cut along the full length of the back of the compression garment or tattoo sleeve.
- Apply superglue to the cut edges of the compression garment or tattoo sleeve.
- Place the “loop” side of the hoop and loop fastener on top of the superglue on one edge of the compression garment or tattoo sleeve.
- Place the “hook” side of hook and loop fastener on top of the superglue on the other edge of the compression garment or tattoo sleeve.
- Allow superglue and hook and loop fasteners to dry
- Apply the compression garment or tattoo sleeve to the simulator or standardized patient.