Reusable bruising for mannequin or SP
HomeGrown Solution Number
Identification of the Problem
We needed a cost-effective way of simulating bruising at various stages of healing on a mannequin without compromising the integrity of the mannequin skin (i.e., staining) while also maintaining a realistic effect. This method can also be used on Standardized participants to prevent needing to reapply make-up throughout long scenarios or multiple runs. We also wanted a way for non-trained personnel to apply these with ease.
We used fairly inexpensive supplies to make a reusable sheet of bruises that can also blend well with mannequin and/or SP skin tones to add the realistic effect.
Create a sheet of bruises/bruising from simple, low-cost supplies.
- Press-N-Seal Wrap
- Clear, transparent dressings, various sizes, depending on desired bruise size (optional)
- Cream-based makeup in bruise colors (yellow, green, blue, red, purple)
- Sheer panty-hose in the size and color desired (depends on mannequin size and skin color)
- Images of bruising in various stages (for visual reference)
Steps to Creating the Solution
- Tear off a piece of Press-N-Seal wrap to the desired size of bruised area
- Apply cream-based makeup to non-adhesive side of Press-N-Seal wrap to get the desired effect (See Picture "A" & "B")
- Apply clear, transparent dressing over cream-based makeup application area to prevent smearing (optional).
- Trim off excess Press-N-Seal wrap
- Place adhesive side of simulated bruise directly on to mannequin or Standardized Participant (See Picture "C")
- If applying to a Standardized patient, then SP can wear a full set of panty-hose, knee-highs, etc. (without cutting) Or… If applying to a mannequin, then cut the legs of a pair of panty-hose into appropriate-sized tubes (open at both ends). Apply the panty-hose sleeve over the simulated bruise. Stretch the panty-hose as much as possible to increase realistic effect. Make attempts to hide the edges of the panty-hose if body locations allow. (For example: If placing the bruises on the lower back of Sim Jr., then hide edges under abdominal skin.) See Picture D
- As seen in the photo, some markings (i.e., red streaking) can be applied directly to the panty-hose themselves, allowed to dry completely and used directly on mannequin. Test material to be sure that it won’t rub off on mannequin and consequently stain the skin.