Create a realistic IV insertion site:
- Discard the IV needle and clip the catheter to ¼ inch.
- Attach the IV catheter to the first IV extension set and clip off the luer lock connector.
- Use the clear IV site dressing to secure the catheter and first extension set to the standardized patient’s arm at a place where he has an obvious vein.
- Create a functioning injection port with a secure, water tight drainage system:
- Attach the gravity IV tubing to the empty IV bag.
- Attach the anti-stick needle connector to the end of the gravity tubing. Remove the protective cap. Use this plastic spike to connect to the luer lock end of the second IV extension tubing. Snug them together tightly so that you will have a secure and water tight connection.
- Attach the injection port to the opposite end of the second IV extension set.
- Place this extension set on the patient’s arm so that it curves in the opposite direction as the first and creates a loop. Secure with tape.
- Cover the drain line with linens and place the drain bag on the floor.