National League for Nursing - Certification for Nurse Educators
Preparing for the Certified Nurse
Before you begin to study for the Certified Nurse Educator examination, please make sure that you meet the eligibility requirements. The Certified Nurse Educator examination is designed to assess the knowledge one has acquired as a result of engaging in the full scope of the faculty role. To that end, it is recommended that in preparing for this examination, you begin by reviewing the following:
- The detailed test blueprint (PDF) to identify the content areas that will be on the exam and to determine which areas you should focus your study.
- The test blueprint (PDF) to understand how each content area is weighted, and to review the percentage of questions that pertain to each area.
- The recommended reference list (PDF), which provides references specific to each of the content areas. The recommended reference list is provided to serve as a guide and is not intended to be all-inclusive.
- Sample questions, which can be found on pages 12-13 of the Candidate Handbook. These sample questions are similar to those found on the examination, but do not represent the full range of content or levels of difficulty.
In addition, we have the following resources available for purchase:
For information about all of the faculty development events the NLN has to offer,
- The Scope of Practice for Academic Nurse Educators developed
in 2005 by the National League for Nursing’s Certification Governance
Committee. This document describes academic nursing education as a specialty
area and an advanced nursing practice role within professional nursing. The
description includes: definition, historical perspective, values and beliefs,
theoretical framework, scope of practice, and competencies or standards of
practice. To order your copy of The Scope of Practice for Academic Nurse Educators,
- A Self-Assessment Examination (SAE) is an internet-based,
65-item, multiple- choice practice examination and can be considered a learning
tool and assessment instrument that is parallel in form to the actual CNE
examination. The CNE SAE is a half-length examination that will meet the examination
specifications including content outline coverage, percentage of items in
each of the content categories and the cognitive complexity item distribution.
By taking the SAE, candidates will be able to practice taking CNE-type questions,
experience computer based testing, review rationales for correct and incorrect
answers and receive a score report to assess strengths and areas for additional
study. Note: those who purchase the SAE will be provided online access to
this product for 60 days from the date of purchase. For additional information
please click here.
Please make certain that you carefully review the Candidate
Handbook for complete information about the Certified Nurse Educator examination.
BACK TO TOP