HomeGrown Solution: Heat Shrink Tube Cover for SimMan's Antecubital Fossa
Heat Shrink Tube Cover for SimMan's Antecubital Fossa
HomeGrown Solution Number
Identification of the Problem
"Two large bore IV access" is a common requirement for simulation training, but adhesive residue on manikin skin can be a constant problem. Additionally, the zipper on the SimMan hand can fail over time and a temporary solution for a broken zipper may be needed.
Apply a transparent membrane over the circumference of a SimMan manikin's antecubital with heat shrink tube. This provides an access point for an external IV circuit, eases adhesive residue management, and holds the hand skin if the zipper fails.
- Create a heat shrink membrane that aids adhesive residue management, provides a medical tape-friendly surface, and holds falling hand skin.
- Heat gun
- Transparent heat shrink tubing
Steps to Creating the Solution
- Obtain heat gun and appropriate size heat shrink tube.
- Remove and clean manikin's antecubital area.
- Cut and place appropriate length of heat shrink tube to cover the circumference of the antecubital fossa.
- Ensure hand skin is evenly positioned.
- Gently apply hot air with the heat gun over the heat shrink tubing to allow even contraction.
- Once a smooth, shinny transparent membrane forms over the targeted area, stop hot air and affix an external IV circuit on the membrane.