Our Commitment to Member and Customer Privacy
Types of Information Collected Information that you provide
NLN collects information from you during business transactions undertaken on the NLN website or otherwise in connection with your use of the Services. Most commonly, this includes, but is not limited to, joining NLN as a member, registering for a workshop or webinar, registering for the CNE®
cl exam, or making a purchase through the NLN Marketplace. Such collected information may include, but is not limited to, the following:
Information that may be collected automatically
- Your name, address, phone number, and email address;
- Your credit or debit card information, information about your bank account and other banking information provided to process a payment whenever you make a purchase;
- Your location data, such as a location derived from your IP address or data such as a postcode or name of a town or city;
- Your communications with us, such as a note or recording of a call you make to one of our customer service centers, an email or letter sent, or other records of any contact with us; and
- Your account information, such as payment data, subscriptions you use, membership status, meeting attendance, account numbers or other information related to your account.
When you access or use the Services, we may automatically collect certain information, which may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Unique device identifier assigned to your device;
- Anonymous identifiers;
- Your IP address;
- Location data (e.g., ZIP code, GPS-based location information, longitude/latitude, etc.); and
- Other information regarding your access to or use of the Services, which may, among other things, assist us in authenticating your usage or device, keeping track of your preferences, and creating a more tailored user experience.
How We Use Your Information
We use the information you provide to us and the information we collect automatically to improve the Services and your experience with the NLN website. If you are joining NLN as a member, your email may be used to send you member-related updates, newsletters, and pertinent organizational news about member elections, upcoming product releases, and opportunities to engage and volunteer in various capacities. We may also have features that allow you to submit information, questions or feedback to us. In those instances, we may retain your messages, emails, and other information you submit to us for our internal purposes, and to help us, our service providers, partners, collaborators, affiliates, or other third parties serve you better.
We may use your information for, among other things, the following purposes:
- Providing any information, services or products that you request, or may be interested in or purchasing on or through the Services;
- Contacting you regarding the administration of any features or functions of the Services;
- Sending you marketing, promotional, and other messages and notifications;
- Allowing you to participate in the support and other features of the Services;
- Responding to your questions or other requests;
- Tailoring your experience with the Services and otherwise customizing what you see when you use the Services;
- Saving your user account, registration, and profile data or other information so you are not required to have to re-enter it each time you use or access the Services;
- Storing your user account, registration, and profile data or other information in the event that you terminate your user account or discontinue its use, so that you can restore your user account more easily;
- Where you order information, products, or services, performing credit checking or other authentication where relevant;
- Payment processing for such orders;
- For the prevention and detection of fraud or infringement of our or any third party's rights;
- Tracking your use of the Services;
- To comply with legal obligations or legal process; and
In addition, we may use your information for, among other things, the following purposes:
- For research purposes, marketing, or promotional purposes and to provide aggregate or de-identified data for our partners, collaborators, third party organizations, and other similar entities;
- Collecting and reporting aggregate, statistical information in connection with the Services and user activity; and
- Determining which features and functionalities of the Services are popular to help us operate the Services, enhance and improve the Services, and display advertising and marketing information.
EXPRESS CONSENT AND AGREEMENT
Disclosure of Any Information to Third Parties
We reserve the right to use, share and exchange any of your information with affiliates, service providers, and other third parties for any lawful purpose, including, but not limited to, as may otherwise be described above under "How We Use Your Information," and your access to or use of the Services will be deemed your express, affirmative "opt in" consent to the foregoing. We also share information to fight spam, threats, abuse, or infringement activities, and promote safety and security.
Marketing and Promotional Communications
From time to time, you may be presented with the option of whether to receive, or you may be automatically entered to receive, certain marketing, promotional or other communications from us and others that we think will be of interest to you. You can unsubscribe from such communications by either following the specific instructions included in such communications or you may "opt out" of receiving certain marketing and promotional emails from us by sending an email to us at email@example.com
detailing your privacy request. Please note that "opt out" and "unsubscribe" requests may not take effect immediately and may take a reasonable amount of time to receive, process and apply, during which time your information will remain subject to the prior privacy settings. Additionally, you should be aware that any information provided to third parties prior to your election to opt out or unsubscribe cannot be retrieved or rescinded by us unless required by applicable law, and you cannot retroactively opt out or unsubscribe with respect to such third parties. Further, please note that notwithstanding any "opt out" or "unsubscribe" request, in order to keep you informed about the operation of the Services, we may always send you emails, notifications, and announcements that are needed for the proper functioning and administration of the Services, including, but not limited to, for the purposes described above under "How We Use Your Information."
Third Party Links
NLN partners with, or holds licenses from, other companies to develop and deliver its products and services to you. The NLN website contains links to these external third party websites which have separate and independent privacy policies. Please be sure to read that company's privacy and cookies policies before using or putting your information on their site. The same applies to any third party websites or content you connect to using our products and services. NLN is not responsible for the data managed and contained on third party servers.
No electronic storage or data transmission over the Internet is 100% secure. While we implement physical, electronic and procedural safeguards designed to protect your information, regardless of our efforts, it is possible that third parties may unlawfully intercept or access transmissions, information or private communications. Accordingly, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of the information collected in connection with the Services.
You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your device by, among other things, choosing a robust password that others do not know and cannot easily guess, and keeping your password private. We are not responsible for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity or unauthorized access to your device.
We do not knowingly collect information from individuals under 13 years of age. No information should be submitted to or otherwise made available on or through the Services by individuals under 13 years of age.
UK and EU Rights General
Under UK and EU law, UK and EU users may have certain additional privacy rights, such as the right to lodge a complaint with data protection regulators. The Information Commissioners' Office ("ICO") is the UK's lead regulator. You can find out how to raise a concern with the ICO by visiting their website at www.ico.org.uk
. If you're within the EU, you may also get in touch with your local Data Protection Regulator who may liaise with the ICO on your behalf.
Advertising; Other Uses of Personal Data
We may use material that you post on the open access areas of the Services in advertising and promotional materials on our partner sites and partner products. We believe these uses are in line with our legitimate interests in enabling us to improve our Services and better tailor your online experience to meet your needs. If we intend to do this, we will contact you for your prior approval. We use your personal data to resolve disputes and troubleshoot problems.
Legal Basis for Processing Personal Data
For users subject to UK or EU law, the following chart describes our legal basis, in each instance, for processing your personal data:
|Purpose for which data is used ||Data ||Legal Basis |
|To provide you with the Services ||Name, email address, date of birth, age, phone number, location ||Contractual necessity |
|To verify your identity and prevent fraud and to ensure the safety and security of users ||Phone number ||Legitimate interests – it is in our legitimate interests to ensure that accounts are not set up fraudulently and to safeguard users of the Services |
|To take payment for fee-based services ||Payment card details ||Contractual necessity and legitimate interests – we have a legitimate interest in receiving payment for our fee-based services |
|To serve targeted advertisements to users of the Services ||Demographic and location information ||Legitimate interests – it is in our legitimate interests to target advertisements so that users see relevant advertisements and to allow us to generate income from advertising revenue |
|To send you marketing information about our offers and services ||Email address, phone number, other account information ||Legitimate interests – it is in our legitimate interests to promote our products and services |
|To carry out research and analysis to help us improve the Services ||Log and usage data, including IP address, traffic statistics, clickstream data and search terms ||Legitimate interests – it is in our interests to analyze the way in which users are accessing and using our services so that we can further develop and improve the Services |
|To respond to correspondence and queries that you submit to us ||Phone number, account information, email address and IP address ||Legitimate interests – it is in our legitimate interests to respond to your queries to ensure that we provide a good service to users and troubleshoot problems |
Your California Rights
If you are a resident of the State of California, we provide you with information on how to exercise your disclosure choice options such as your right to opt out (which we may sometimes refer to as "unsubscribe") with respect to use of your personal information by third parties for marketing purposes. Therefore, pursuant to the California Civil Code, we are not required to maintain or disclose a list of the third parties that received your personal information for marketing purposes during the preceding year. If you are a California resident and wish to request information about how to exercise your third party disclosure choices, please send a request by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
detailing your privacy request. All requests must be labeled "Your California Privacy Rights" on the email subject line. For all requests, please clearly state that the request is related to "Your California Privacy Rights" and include your name, street address, city, state, ZIP code and email address (your street address is optional if you wish to receive a response to your request via email) and indicate your preference on how our response to your request should be sent (email or postal mail). We will not accept requests via phone, postal mail, or by fax. We are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent properly, or do not have complete or legible information.
Changes to this Privacy
Accuracy of Your Information
While the Services are intended for use within the United States, the Services are also accessible outside of the United States. By using the Services, you acknowledge that: (i) if you live in a country with data protection laws, the privacy laws of the United States may not provide you with the same protections as you enjoy in your country of residence; and (ii) if you visit, access, interact with or otherwise use the Services from a location outside the United States, any information you provide in connection with any such activity may be processed in or transferred to the United States or other territories and locations, where privacy protections may not be as comprehensive as those in the territory or location where you interact with or otherwise use the Services. By using the Services, you affirmatively consent to the transfer, use, storage, processing, disclosure, provision, and other administration of your information in the United States and as described herein.