HomeGrown Solution: An Inexpensive, Reusable Umbilical Catheterization Part Task Trainer
HomeGrown Solution Number
Identification of the Problem
- Create a part-task trainer that allows participants to practice every step of umbilical catheterization.
- Create a red simulated blood solution that does not stain the synthetic umbilical cords.
Expected learning outcomes:
- Increased confidence with umbilical vessel catheterization among course participants.
- Blood reservoir: 4-ounce baby bottle, wide mouth with nipple. (We used Philips Avent)
- Umbilicus (from arteficial human tissue), Syndaver, SKU: 130170
- Newborn body form: "My sweet love" 13-inch soft baby doll
- Assorted skin colors (Walmart)
- Simulated blood: tap water in a water bottle
- Simulated blood: 1 drop of phenolphtalein 1% solution as pH indicator (we brought it from Amazon)
- Simulated blood: drops of 1 M (1N) sodium hydroxyde solution until water turns red at pH 8.5-9
- Covering skin for torso: any scrap skin for vascular access arm trainers, we used Gaumard
Steps to Creating the Solution
- Prepare simulated blood: add a drop of phenolphthalein to tap water and keep adding sodium hydroxide until the indicator turns red.
- Enlarge the baby bottle's nipple opening with scissors until it snuggly fits umbilicus.
- Pull umbilicus through the nipple, make sure one end reaches into the reservoir.
- Split the cloth on the doll body form's back. Separate the stuffing bluntly. Cut a circular hole in the front of the body form just large enough to transmit the umbilicus.
- Fill the reservoir with the indicator-stained simulated blood. Close bottle with the umbilicus inserted in the nipple.
- Pull the umbilicus through the body form. Work most of the reservoir into the body form through the split back.
- Place body form and reservoir on a tray.
- Cut a hole on the scrap skin, place over the torso to transmit the umbilicus.
- After the class collect the simulated blood, discard or re-use. Wash umbilici with tap water. Let body forms dry.
The information contained within this website is for information purposes only. While the website is monitored in an attempt to keep the information up to date and accurate, be aware that there are no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, and/or suitability being made. The sponsors of this website are not liable for any loss or damage that may result from using information contained within this website. Any reliance you place on the information contained within this website is strictly at your own risk.
Please note that sections of this website include postings of individuals not associated with the website sponsors. These postings are not endorsed or warrantied by the website, and use of such information is at your own risk.
Always check the user guide/manuals provided by the manufacturer of your manikin or task trainer. Using products that are not sanctioned may invalidate the product warranty. (For example: Some products could stain the skin on a manikin. Liquids used around electrical parts may cause malfunctions.)