HomeGrown Solution: Creating Reservoirs in Manikins for NG and J-Tube Medication Administration
HomeGrown Solution Number
Identification of the Problem
- 36” Jumbo Toy Balloons
- Manikin without internal electronics
- Zip Ties
Steps to Creating the Solution
- NG-Tube or Dobhoff: Remove manikin’s chest plate. Place a towel in manikin's upper abdominal cavity (underneath the jumbo balloon, just in case of a leak).
- Place NG-tube or Dobhoff through nare, assuring tube end extends inside balloon. Secure jumbo toy balloon to stomach reservoir connector with a zip tie. Replace manikin's chest plate.
- Properly secure Dobhoff tube. Clean up is easy. Snip the zip tie with scissors and toss out the filled balloon. Replace stomach reservoir on manikin.
- For J-Tube: Remove manikin's lower abdominal plate. Feed a J-tube into manikin's stoma opening and pull the J-tube out of the threaded connector on the backside of the manikin's lower abdominal plate (using pliers if necessary).
- Place a towel inside the manikin's lower abdominal cavity (just in case of a leak). Using a zip tie, secure a jumbo toy balloon to the connector (over the J-tube). Assure that the J-tube ends inside the balloon.
- Replace the manikin's lower abdominal plate with the balloon resting on the towel. Clean up is easy. Snip the zip tie with scissors and toss out the filled balloon. Replace the bladder reservoir on the manikin.
The information contained within this website is for information purposes only. While the website is monitored in an attempt to keep the information up to date and accurate, be aware that there are no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, and/or suitability being made. The sponsors of this website are not liable for any loss or damage that may result from using information contained within this website. Any reliance you place on the information contained within this website is strictly at your own risk.
Please note that sections of this website include postings of individuals not associated with the website sponsors. These postings are not endorsed or warrantied by the website, and use of such information is at your own risk.
Always check the user guide/manuals provided by the manufacturer of your manikin or task trainer. Using products that are not sanctioned may invalidate the product warranty. (For example: Some products could stain the skin on a manikin. Liquids used around electrical parts may cause malfunctions.)