HomeGrown Solution: Use What You Have for Medication Administration/Enteral Feeding by Gastrostomy Tube
HomeGrown Solution Number
Identification of the Problem
- Any manikin with corresponding abdominal plate with interchangeable stoma sites
- Gastronomy tube (Used: MIC-KEY low profile gastrostomy feeding tube)
- Primary IV tubing (that allows fluid to flow back into the bag)
- Empty IV fluid bag (your preference in size, just consider how much will fluid be administered & how often the bag might need to be emptied)
Steps to Creating the Solution
- Use a manikin (no internal electronic parts) that has an abdominal plate with interchangeable stoma sites
- Remove one of the blank abdominal plugs from the abdominal plate.
- Connect your empty IV fluid bag to your primary IV tubing.
- Take the other non-connected end of the primary IV tubing and feed it into the opening of the urinary reservoir black connector.
- Use the hemostat to grab the tubing and pull it out through the colostomy hole – a little over an inch of the primary IV tubing should be in the g-tube.
- Push the gastrostomy tube over the end of the primary IV tubing
- Store drainage bag inside abdominal cavity or under manikin (I prefer in the abdominal cavity for a more realistic experience).
- Make sure to un-clamp the primary IV tubing's roller-clamp before administering fluids through g-tube.
- * Note: Periodically check connection between the g-tube and Primary IV tubing to make sure it has not been pulled apart and liquid is now leaking inside your manikin.
The information contained within this website is for information purposes only. While the website is monitored in an attempt to keep the information up to date and accurate, be aware that there are no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, and/or suitability being made. The sponsors of this website are not liable for any loss or damage that may result from using information contained within this website. Any reliance you place on the information contained within this website is strictly at your own risk.
Please note that sections of this website include postings of individuals not associated with the website sponsors. These postings are not endorsed or warrantied by the website, and use of such information is at your own risk.
Always check the user guide/manuals provided by the manufacturer of your manikin or task trainer. Using products that are not sanctioned may invalidate the product warranty. (For example: Some products could stain the skin on a manikin. Liquids used around electrical parts may cause malfunctions.)